Friday, June 3, 2011

All I Had To Do Was Show Up

Last night I attended a 3 hour dance recital in downtown Atlanta. It was simply a perfect evening! I went to watch two students I just recently had in my classroom this year. I was so proud of them! I was surrounded by proud parents and family members of the dancers. I sat alongside another teacher I work with and one of the student's parents. Though the evening was quite long, I was reassured why it was worth it when my student's mom said over and over again how thankful she was that we were there. Even more confirmation came after the show when I saw the joy on my students' faces while we took pictures on the stage.

All I had to do was show up! I didn't bring a gift. I didn't even have to buy a ticket to attend the performance. What a great gift anyone can give to another person - just be there for them. Though both of my students had family in the audience, I can't help but think their evening was a bit more special because I was there. And though I don't have children of my own, I'm sure I felt just as proud as a parent probably does.

To make the evening even more rewarding, I also got to see several former students perform. There were students I taught last year, two years ago, three years ago, four years ago, five years ago, and even one I taught six years ago! Being able to see them again and talk to them again was simply amazing!

When driving home after the show, I had the opportunity to reflect on the evening with my teammate Daniel. He is a first-year teacher, and this is the first time he was able to attend an extra-curricular event of a student. I'm excited for him to have had this opportunity. I could tell the evening was just as special for him!

What a great evening!


No comments:

Post a Comment